Our next featured employee in the “Power Behind PowerInbox” blog series is John Kuempel, the API team lead!
Our platform API team provides current campaign, stripe, and ad data to other parts of the product and also includes security and the reporting API. Born and raised in Michigan, John studied computer science at Northern Michigan University, where he faced almost 120 inches of snow a year. He currently lives near Ann Arbor with his wife, four of five children, and two chihuahuas.
John has been with us for almost four years, and we’re excited for you to learn a little more about him:
1. What do you love most about your role at PowerInbox?
That I get to work with people I like and respect. The team is very collegial.
2. What advice do you have for someone also interested in that type of position?
Stick around long enough for your manager to get promoted. And maybe do your best work.
3. What are the top 5 tools you can’t live without?
4. What are some of your hobbies?
Reading, board and card games, and writing very inconsistently.
5. What is your favorite quote & why?
“Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – Anonymous (not Dr. Seuss)
I like this quote because it pithily distills the essence of being your authentic self.
6. What is one piece of advice you’d give your younger self?
Buy all the Apple shares you can.
7. What superpower would you choose & why?
Flight or teleportation so I could go wherever I wanted to quickly and economically, assuming I don’t have to drink jet fuel or something to activate it.
8. What’s your biggest guilty pleasure & why?
Snyder’s of Hanover Sourdough Nibblers. The plain ones. If you get me the mustard and onion ones, I will cut you.
9. What’s your hidden talent?
I do a pretty good Meatwad impression.
10. How do you manage work/life balance?
I leave my laptop in my office in the basement. As my family, and Slack activity, can tell you, I still spend too much time on my phone.
We hope you enjoyed learning more about the people who power PowerInbox!